CALL US NOW : (800) 561 6273

EMAIL US : info@cta.edu



What types of federal student aid programs are available at California Technical Academy?

  • Federal Pell Grant Program

  • William D. Ford Direct Subsidized Loan

  • William D. Ford Direct Unsubsidized Loan

  • William D. Ford Parent PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student)

Where can I get basic information about federal student aid?

  • In addition to information you find on CTA’s website, you can get basic federal student aid information on the U.S. Department of Education’s https://studentaid.ed.gov website.

How Do I Apply For Federal Student Aid?

  • Determine if you are a dependent or independent student for Federal Student Aid (See next question.) because it affects whose information must be reported on the FAFSA.

  • Put CTA’s Federal School Code (042219) on your FAFSA.

  • It is important you read all FAFSA instructions carefully to avoid making errors which can negatively impact your aid.  Students often fail to report untaxed income correctly in Questions 45, for example, Veterans Noneducation Benefits, such as Disability, Death Pension, or Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and/or VA Educational Work-Study allowances must be reported on the FAFSA.
  • The U.S. Department of Education will process your FAFSA data and send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) showing your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) used by CTA to calculate your aid awards.  You do not need to send your SAR to the school.  If you put the school’s federal school code on your FAFSA, the SAR will be sent to the school electronically.

  • The Financial Aid Office will contact you when your SAR is received to request any additional documents or information.
  • The Financial Aid Office will calculate your aid eligibility and create a Financial Plan/Award Notification for your review.
  • If you decide to borrow a Direct Loan, you will need to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling, both available at https://studentaid.gov
  • Students who attend in two different award years (July 1st of one year to June 30th of the next year) will need to fill out a FAFSA for each award year.
  • Your financial aid awards are not fully paid when you start the program. CTA is required to receive and disburse your aid at intervals (payment periods) throughout your program.
  • You will be required to complete Loan Exit Counseling if you borrowed a Direct Loan while you were at CTA.

What Is My Dependency Status And Why Is It Important?

  • Your dependency status determines whose information you must report on the FAFSA. If you are an independent student, you will report your information (and, if you’re married, your spouse’s).  If you are a dependent student, you will report your and your parents’ information.

  • An applicant is independent if he/she meets any one of the following criteria:

    • Is 24 years old or older

    • Is married

    • Provides more than 50% support for someone other than a spouse

    • Is a veteran of the US Armed Forces

    • Is an orphan

    • Was in foster care or was a ward of the court

    • Is/was an unaccompanied homeless youth

    • Is an emancipated minor

    • Is determined by the Financial Aid Professional that there are unusual circumstances

    • If a student cannot meet any one of the above criteria, he/she is a dependent for federal student aid purposes.